Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

I learned to cook nshima!!! Kinda.

This weekend was our first full weekend in Zambia and it was incredible! I am so in love with this place and these people and the experiences I'm having. God is so cool in the fact that He truly knows what's best for you. Never would I ever have thought I would be in Zambia for two months but He knew. Such a stellar guy He is.

We spent most of our time with the kids in the Lusaka homes this weekend. Saturday we spent with homes 3 and 4. We played some games and then we played football. They love their football. I of course am not an asset to the team but I am determined to get there. We started out played monkey in the middle and then decided to play boys against girls (I can't remember who's bright idea that was seeing as how there were more boys than girls.) but Michael decided to be on our team and man that boy can play! Choolwe is a pretty awesome player as well. I mean I feel like you have to be here. 

We also had been really wanting to see the sunset so we asked Charles if he would take us. Charles has been our tour guide for the past couple days. He's shown us around Helen Kaunda and where the homes are and how to get around. He is a gem. He lives in Lusaka house 1 and is going to turn 20 in July. He will also be starting college in July to study public relations. He loves to joke with us and tell us things that aren't true which is great for our joking banter that we already have with each other. Although sometimes a problem when he tells me things to say in Nyanja and I have no idea what I'm saying and then people laugh at me. Good times. 


Brooke, Charles, Peter, Lauren, and me after our wonderful Saturday!

So Charles and some of the other kids from houses 3 and 4 went with us to Jesus Army, which is a place where kids can go to school if they can't really afford to go to school, so we could watch the sunset. There's a big open area and lots of kids were playing football and just playing around. The sky has been so beautiful since we've been here so we've been dying to see the sunsets. There are large cement walls around most of the homes in Helen Kaunda which makes it nearly impossible for us to see it from our home/the office. So Jesus Army was the place to go and I am foreseeing some more visits there for sunsets in our future. 

There were also some pretty adorable kids hanging out there. Charles took my camera to take pictures of them and then all of a sudden they are all surrounding me so I said Charles what are they doing and he goes oh they want to take a picture with you! It was the cutest. They were so happy and full of joy and just wanted to talk to us. 

We also got to stop by Moses' house and meet his wife, Perci and their one year old, Wangu. They are just the cutest little family ever y'all. Perci is so sweet and so welcoming and invited us over for dinner one night which of course we accepted! And Wangu. I mean come on I love babies and she is just the happiest and her laugh has so much joy! I can't wait to be her friend. Once she gets to know of course. Also she took a baby selfie. How stinkin cute is that?



I could just tell that Moses and Perci love her so much and are just so overjoyed to be parents and that just made my heart melt. It just made me think that the way they look at and feel about her is just a small glimpse into how God looks at and feels about us, his children.

So on Sunday we went to Deliverance Church which is where Moses goes. I know what you're thinking. Baby Wangu swayed us into trying Deliverance first and you might be right if there hadn't of been A WEDDING yesterday. I know! I went to a ZAMBIAN WEDDING yesterday and it was incredible. It was so full of joy and life and there was so much dancing and celebration. I loved it! It was during the church service which was very interesting so anyone could come (clearly since we were there.)

At the service there was a group from Michigan visiting the church and later we found out that they will be giving free health care in Chongwe which is awesome and such a blessing! Initially though everyone kept trying to seat us interns with them because I guess they just assumed the young white girls are with the huge group of mzungus. We kindly told them we weren't part of that group. I guess they assume mzugus stick together? I don't know. 

The service was awesome. There was worship, praise, shouts of joy, praying, arms outstretched, dancing and more dancing and singing! I loved every minute of it. Something I love about the people here is that when they pray they pray with such praise and power. There have been some prayers where they've just praised God the entire time and it's awesome. I love it. We don't need to be asking God for something with every prayer we pray. Taking time to praise Him is so important and they get that here. 

The rest of our Sunday was spent with the kids from houses 1 and 2. We've been wanting to learn how to cook nshima (which is a staple food in their diet here) so Charles said today was the day! When we got to the homes, there was a group of girls standing outside and Charles told us that they were the girls brigade which basically I got was pretty much like Girl Scouts plus Jesus. So they came in and sang a couple songs and prayed and then Thoko (one of the girls  from house 1 who will be 20 this week!! June 19!) led them in a song too! It was so cool. I am kind of obsessed with the songs. 

After they left it was finally time to cook! We made (or rather we cut up a couple vegetables and then watched Thoko make) chibwabwa(which is a green veggie), another green veggie I can't remember the name of, scrambled eggs with tomatoes, and nshima. It was delicious!! Nshima is made from corn meal I believe and it kind of looks like mashed potatoes but it doesn't taste like it at all. It doesn't really have a taste so that's why you eat it with other things!


Brooke and I also played football with Brian and Denga while we were waiting for the food to cook. We asked who was the best and Brian said he was so that meant he got to me on my team since I am still lacking in the football skills. Lucky Brian! However, we did win! He said he was the best! He is a sweetheart and put up with me and my poor football skills. 

I also got a really awesome braid thanks to my girl Faith. She's so kind and writes songs which she said she would sing for me sometime so I can't wait for that! She also wants to make pizza so we're working on trying to get a recipe for her. Trying to figure out ingredients here so she knows what to put on her recipe. 

The girls also suggested we have a slumber party at the office which we were all for!! Pizza and baking and watching movies? Umm yes please! They said the boys can come for pizza but they have to leave after that. 

God has definitely been answering my prayers of time with the kids and time to get to know them. It's been such a wonderful weekend and I'm so excited to see what God has in store this week as we prepare for Camp Hope. We are getting ready for 300 orphans next week and for teen mania to arrive on Sunday! Please pray for the team as they get ready to come and the kids that will be coming to camp. I pray their hearts will be open and they will receive the love and hope of Jesus Christ. 

P.S. Charles just texted (on the one phone we have that can talk to the locals) and said to tell me Happy Birthday Eve!  It's going to be a great bday I can already tell! :)

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about how God is already moving and preparing the way for yall to share Jesus! My daughter will be there tomorrow with the Global Expedition group! Praying! !!

    ReplyDelete