Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

What's better than a birthday in Zambia?!

Well today was my birthday and what a day it was. I can honestly say this was the best birthday I've ever had. I felt so loved today by all of my new friends and my old friends from afar! 

Today started out with facetimeing mom and dad. So thankful I got to see them this morning (their night) and for their love from Texas! Praising Jesus for technology and communication!

 Today we had a workshop for the mamas of the homes led by Abigail and Agatha. Us interns got to sit in on it and learn some new things. The mamas started off the workshop with singing and dancing. It was so joyful and so much fun! Then after all the dancing, we were all sitting back in our chairs and they started to sing again. This one was my favorite though because I could only hear their voices in the quiet office. It was beautiful listening to them. I picture that being a sneak peak into heaven. 

After the workshop we had planned to go get pizza! Partly for my birthday and partly because we've been wanting to try the Zambian pizza. We had made plans with Charles and Lubasi to take us there this past weekend. We were pleasantly surprised though when Hope and Meya (two of the Lusaka girls from homes 3 and 4) showed up at our casa! They came into our room and wished me happy birthday! (seriously they're the sweetest.) Hope said she was my birthday present. I told her I'd take her for sure! 

Thoko and Peter also came with us to get pizza so it was a solid group! On our walk to the pizza place, Hope and Meya gave me a card that they made! They made me a birthday card. I almost cried. So thoughtful of them! I also got a chance to talk to Meya more and learned that she wants to be a doctor and a soccer player when she grows up. Girl power what up! Rocking those two careers. I also got to talk to Lubasi more and quiz him on his musical interests. I like to hear what kind of music people like. Also fun fact most of the people I've asked about music like country music! There is also a radio station that was playing the Dixie chicks, lady antebellum, and Dolly Parton one day. Go country music for reaching Zambia!

Once we got to Pizza Inn we found out there wasn't really room in the inn. Just kidding but it is a very popular place. Especially on two for one Tuesday! While we waited for our pizza we played a game, chit chatted, bonded and did some more talking. It was wonderful! While we were waiting on our pizza, Lubasi also gave me a birthday card! I mean seriously I'm so thankful for my new friends!! They're so sweet and thoughtful!

Okay so we got our pizza and it was delicious!! It honestly tasted pretty much the same as American pizza. A little less sauce but other than that pretty much the same. So good!! We will definitely hit that up again!

We of course had to take a birthday selfie with everyone!

After we ate we were needing our receipt (we have to keep them for our expenses and such) so we needed that and Charles had given it back to the lady at the counter so he and I went to see if we could get it or another one. They are still pretty busy and this poor woman is getting yelled at by a guy who doesn't have his pizza (I personally thought he needed to chill a little bit but hey I'm the mzungu what do I know) and people are waiting in one to order and we get up their asking for a receipt. She thought she threw it away so she said she'd look. This sweet girl (probs about my age) dug through the trash to find our receipt. Meanwhile the guy upset he doesn't have his pizza is still upset he doesn't have his pizza and is still yelling at her. She gives us the receipt and I just felt led to give her some encouragement and let her know she was doing a great job at her job and how much I appreciated her finding the receipt! And she was so thankful and gave me a high five. Besties with the pizza girl now! That's what's up. 

Ended the day singing and dancing with Lauren and Brooke to 22 by tswift. It was an excellent birthday! Without a doubt. What's better than a birthday in Zambia? Nothing!! Except having amazing new friends to celebrate with! So thankful for each one of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment