Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

All The Little Nuggets!

Y'all. This place. Zambia. Where they don't say y'all. I've been trying to think of the perfect words to describe Lusaka and I am still just in awe of the culture, of the people, of pretty much everything. It is a very large place. There are so many different areas of Lusaka. Kind of like Dallas or Houston in the sense that it has different suburbs inside of it. We are staying at the Every Orphan's Hope (EOH) office which is in Helen Kaunda.

The people here are so friendly and there are different little shops set up on the sides of the roads. People are outside all the time. I mean all the time. It's so great. We are constantly seeing little nuggets running around and all the kids going to school. Seriously I love it! The kids go to school at different times here depending on the school they go to. It's really interesting and each school has a different uniform. 

Today was our first full day in Lusaka. It was an adventure! We started off by doing a devotional with the EOH staff which was amazing. I could just tell by talking with them for a few minutes that they truly love The Lord. Jesus shines through each of them and it is so evident in the way they speak, the way they welcomed us as sisters in Christ, and the way they serve one another. I can't wait to get to know them more and learn from them. I can already tell I will be learning so much this summer!

We have met six of the EOH staff so far.  Mary Ann who is the My Father's House coordinator, Abigail who is in charge of the Chongwe homes in My Father's House, Agatha who is in charge of the Lusaka homes in My Father's House, Moses who is in charge of Camp Hope and Orphan Sunday, Humphray who is in charge of transportation and IT, and Caison who is the accountant. They are each so wonderful and I am so excited to spend the summer with them!

So after our daily devotional we headed to the grocery store, Spar, to get some food for the next couple weeks. It was an experience. Here they do not keep their butter, milk, or eggs refrigerated at the store. We are guessing because it is so fresh but Humphray said that's just how it is. Also the honey and peanut butter did not have seals on them. Again, we are assuming because they are fresh. We stuck to what we knew mostly. We did get some Squiggles which is their version of Nuttella. We had to try that out! It's actually pretty much the same. 

We also met Peter today. Peter also works for EHO and does some of the cleaning and lawn care and I love Peter. He makes me want to serve more. The way he takes pride in his work and has the biggest servants heart truly reflects The Lord. He works as though he is working for God in everything he is doing no matter what the task and that is so cool to see. He has been working for EHO for about three years he said. He radiates Christ and puts others before himself always. (At least that's what I saw throughout the day.) I'm so pumped to get to know him more and hear about his life. 

We also went to a meeting for the July Camp Hope and met some of the church coordinators for that. They were so kind and I could tell that they have been working really hard to prepare for the camp. I am so pumped to see all of these people serving together and telling these kids about Jesus. It is going to be so cool! Knowing that we can't change their situation but we can give them hope in Jesus. That's what brings us all together.

God I am so humbled to be apart of the work you are going to do in these kids lives this summer. I pray hearts will be changed. I pray we will be able to be servants for you; that we will be like Peter and truly think of others before ourselves. I pray that for myself, the other interns as well as all of the teachers for Camp Hope this summer. 

To close that meeting Moses suggested that one of the women lead us in a song. Of course we didn't know it but it was so beautiful hearing them sing. Being able to just stand in awe of our God who is the same as He is in the U.S. and hears my Engligh prayers and them praising Him in Nyanja at the same time. It was such an awesome moment and made me love God and all the people He's created even more. Zambia has already taken hold of a special place in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment