Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Mzungu mzungu!

Week one in Lusaka is complete. It's hard to believe we've already been here a week but it also feels like we've been here so much longer. I feel right at home thanks to all my new Zambian friends. It was definitely a week of learning and processing everything. Just learning a new culture and their different ways of doing things. I am still fascinated by everything and I know that's not going to change. I'm so thankful for Humphray and Moses who are kind enough to answer our billions of questions. 

So yesterday we did some more translating, and met Charles from the Lusaka home and he gave us a little walking tour around Helen Kaunda. He was so kind to show us from Lusaka homes one & two and three & four. He is a character. He was already joking around with us right after we met him. 

While we were walking we passed kids and they would smile and wave and some would say hello. Others would yell mzungu! (Which means white person or foreigner) We passed this one kid who was playing with a tire but wouldn't smile and wouldn't wave at me and we passed him and this other group of kids called us mzungus so we said mzungus too and they thought it wa funny but the kid with the tire thought it was hilarious and was laughing and laughing. It was almost a cackle. It was so funny!

Today we got to go grocery shopping with Abigail and Agatha for the Lusaka homes monthly supplies. We took a taxi and also had a canter (which is basically a truck with a long bed) to get all of the supplies. We went to a wholesale place, then stopped and got fish, then made our final stop to get eggs and potatoes. Let me tell you about the fish place. We pull up and I can already smell the fish. We went inside and followed Abigail back to where the fish were and she told Brooke and I to put about 8 in a bag. The fish are just chillin in an open refrigerator box. What meat is normally in at the grocery store but it's not packaged and it's fresh right out of the Zambezi River. So we are grabbing them and putting them in plastic bags and we have about 5 bags full when this guy comes up and says they've already done it for us. Lolz so we put all the fish back and let the guy load it up for us. It was pretty comical. I'm sure all the locals were saying silly mzungus. 

Funny story of the day: the last place we went was another grocery store just to get eggs, potatoes, and the stuff to make nshima (which is eaten a lot here). Anyway, after we had checked out and the guys were loading the car, Brooke and I had empty shopping carts. Well a guy came by and took Brooke's but he didn't take mine which wasn't a big deal I just didn't know where to take it so I kind of followed him. He went up the ramp by the stairs so that's what I did (or attempted to do). I started walking up the ramp but it was so slippery because of the shoes I was wearing I just came right back down. I turned around and Abigail, Brooke, and Lauren are laughing at me and then not too far away there were some guys just staring at me. The struggle was real. I got it though don't worry. It was really funny. 

After that the shopping was done! A canter full of stuff which is now at the office (aka our home) for the Lusaka kids! I am so thankful that I was able to go with Abigail and Agatha and just get a small glimpse at everything they do. Every month they do this where they go and buy food for all of the kids. Lusaka only has 4 homes and Chongwe has 7 so I can only imagine how much that monthly load is! These two ladies are so awesome and such hard workers! They truly care about each of these kids and have a personal relationship with each of them. It's been so cool to see. Praising Jesus for these two today!

We also rearranged our room today. Change is fun. We pushed all three of our beds together. If it didn't feel like one big slumber party before, it does now! However, due to the location of the beds we may have just created less privacy for ourselves since the wall that the beds are on looks directly into the bathroom but ya know it's fine. Mzungu musketeers strike again. No biggie. 

Things I'm thankful for tonight: running water, electricity, the beautiful sky, and each new day. 

Just a small glimpse at the beautiful sky here. God knows how to paint a picture. 

Prayers: for the upcoming Camp Hope (in two weeks)-the translators/teachers and for the missionaries coming over and for Moses as he leads and coordinates all of this, time with the kids will be intentional, and the EOH staff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment