Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

All is Grace

I read the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp recently. I loved it and highly recommend it. Her writing is basically like poetry. It’s beautiful truth that will seep into your soul as you read each page. This book is obviously about gifts and in it she makes a list of the gifts God has given her and giving thanks. God has a way of wooing us with the everyday things we just have to see it. Ann talks about how everything is grace because everything is from God. It is seeing God in everything and thanking Him for everything that is in our lives that brings the fullness of joy.

Anyway, it is a great read and I give it all the stars. The point of me bringing up Ann is that she talks about time. In One Thousand Gifts she says, “Time is a relentless river. It rages on, a respecter of no one.” I have found that to be very true as my time is coming to an end here in Zambia. I keep asking myself where the time went. It seriously feels like yesterday we were getting off the plane and stepping into this new and exciting world of unknown. Now we have finally mastered where everything is, which grocery store is the best and least expensive, how to drive like a Zambian, and it’s time to leave.

Yesterday we visited Chongwe for the last time. We got to go and say our goodbyes to all of the kids and all of the mamas. Some of the kids asked me when I was coming back or if I would be back next year. I told them “I’m not sure when I’ll be back but I will be back I can promise you that.” 

Saying goodbye to those kids was the hardest part of this trip so far. Reading Ann has put things into a new perspective for me though. Although it breaks my heart to leave the sweet little nuggets that have become a part of me over the summer, I am so thankful that God brought me here. I am thankful for all of the smiles I’ve gotten to see, all of the laughs filled with joy I’ve gotten to hear, all of the hands I’ve gotten to hold, all of the many hugs I’ve given and received, and all of the love that has been shared.

My heart wants so badly to stay here but I know God is good and will bring me back in His timing. This morning we had our last devo with the EOH staff. It was really good. God had some great reminders for us that although our time is ending here we cannot even fathom the amazing things He has in store for the future. (1 Corinthians 2:9-10)

Psalm 73:26 was also in our devo this morning which says, “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Such a good reminder as our time comes to an end here. Even cooler, how God gives us little nuggets of wisdom like these when we need it most.  

He also gives us wonderful convos with our intern mama, Cheryl, when we need them most like this morning. We got to start our day talking with her and her just giving us advice and preparing us for coming home. The best piece of advice she gave us though was to enjoy today. I am so thankful that we got to talk to Cheryl this morning and to have her to give us words of wisdom. She also looked directly at me and told me not to make and major decisions when I get back for 3 to 6 months. She knows me too well. :)


Through reading Ann, talking with Cheryl, and my continued convos with Brooke and Lauren, God is reminding me to enjoy today and give thanks for each moment He’s given me here because all is grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment